Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 1: and it begins

How many times can I snooze and still get a workout in?  It's 5:22, and I'm still sleepy. That Tough Mudder really is gonna kill me if I can't even roll out of bed on Day 1. I felt all jazzed and excited and stuff last night.  Maybe I shoulda worked out then.  Alarm is beep-beep-beeping at me again. I guess that means it's time. Mudderling bootcamp... I hope I don't die.
UPDATE: I didn't die, but I'm pretty sure I will if I actually finish the entire thing. I blame high school football coaches for my pain. Burpees? Really? I'm completely sure I didn't do those even close to right, but my goal today was to just keep moving. I almost got clotheslined by the Christmas lights strung between the trees in my backyard, which used to be a shiny, happy place, and now houses the Bootcamp From Hell.

Today, I tried out each exercise on the list from the Tough Mudder: Mudderling (AKA, wimpy loser who might as well throw in the towel now) Bootcamp, and yeah, some of them really sucked. I have to say I did just fine on jumping jacks, although I definitely need to invest in some super-sturdy sports bras to keep The Girls in line during these workouts. Pretty much all the rest of them, well, sucked.

And I didn't bathe in bug spray before going out there, and down here in the Swamp, I know better. I became mosquito food in minutes. I think I drew them in from the next two counties over, all the CO2 I was exhaling (translation: I was panting like an old dog on a very hot day).

Tomorrow should be better...this was the dry run. It's okay if Day 1 is actually in two parts, right? This is my training, I can do it however the heck I want. So yeah, let's try this again tomorrow with bug spray. Also, I need a huge stopwatch to keep track of the time. One of those ginormous digital ones I can stick to the wall. Or a friend to just come to the backyard three times a week and yell "TWO MINUTES" at me as I start each circuit. Any takers?

Okay, so I decided that each day I'd write down what kind of strength I'm training for, you know, because this whole thing is a journey to becoming a strong person, mind, body and spirit. I guess today would be the strength to just turn off the alarm and get my butt out of my warm, cozy bed and get it done. I definitely struggled with that today. So that's the little piece of strong I earned today. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

UPDATE: I have a handy-dandy little calculator at work that adds up time between two dates, which I didn't know I had for a long time and would actually count day by day on the calendar when calculating deadlines. Real efficient. Anyway, I put in the date for the Tough Mudder, and I have 138 days to get ready. That sounds like a lot sitting here, but really it's just a tad over 4 months. I'm gonna stick with 138 days because it sounds longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment