Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 22--I'm changing my name to Janet. Or Jess. Or Joan.

I remember it like it was yesterday.  My regular 5:15 a.m. spin instructor was off, and she warned us we'd have a sub.  A boy.  I'd never taken a spin class taught like a boy.  I wasn't happy.  And then I saw him.  A happy bald guy who was playing pretty good warm up tunes.  Okay, maybe it would be okay.  Then class started.  And I almost didn't survive. 

If you haven't taken a spin class before, the bike has a little red knob that you turn to add tension.  The more tension, obviously, the harder it is to pedal.  In spin, though, you also have to stand up on the bike and pedal.  With a lot of tension, it feels like you're running through 8 feet of sand.

The instructor, who would forever after be called Jason.The.Spin.God, made us "bury" the tension (that means, add, and add, and add, and add....I think we turned the red knob 23 or 57 times) and stand up while he played that Kid Rock song, the one I can't pronounce, Bada-bing-bada-boom or something, and he turned it up LOUD.  So we were all up on our bikes, pushing through 8 feet of sand, with this crazy song on full blast.  The room was literally thumping with each beat. 

And then...

...the clock above our heads on the back row gave up and committed suicide.  It jumped right off the wall and smashed right in front of me. 

And Jason.The.Spin.God says, "It's not a party until we break something.  KEEP RIDING!!!!"

That's it, I was sold on this guy and on spin in general.  I figured out when he was teaching and came to every class I could, sometimes twice a day.  Until he left the gym.  :(

Never fear though, in comes Jeralan, a very happy, funny, silly, goofy, MMA-fighting, arms-as-big-as-trees spin.god.  I love his class.  It's always a blast, and being kind of a goofball myself, I have a great time spinning with him.

And then there's James.  James' spin class is like a dance party, and he's DJ Jazzy James.  His songs are these awesome mash-ups of a bunch of songs you already love to dance to, so the hour just flies by!

Finally, John, whose class I rode through twice in a row tonight.  He loves 80s rock like I do, and tonight he even played my favorite Glam rocker, Adam Lambert.  He also talks to us a lot, tells funny little ditties, and it's entertaining. 

All three of these guys' classes are hard; you definitely earn your keep in each one.  I love going to them all.  SpinGods, they all are.

So here you go...we had Jason, the original Spin God, and now Jeralan, James, and John. 

Hmmmm....it would appear that to become a SpinGoddess, like I hope to, I will need to first change my name to something that begins with the letter "J."

I like that show New Girl--Jess is kinda dorky like me.  That might work.  "Jess.The.Spin.Goddess."  Too Rhymey. 

Janet reminds me too much of Janet "Wardrobe Malfunction" Jackson or the dumpy roommate Janet from "Three's Company," so I think that one's out.

Jessica=Simpson.  No thanks.  Except she did date Tony Romo, and he was living with Jason Witten at the time, and I love Jason Witten, so maybe...but Jessica is the same as Jess, really, so no again.

Jenni is one of my BFF's names, so I can't be all SingleWhiteFemale Name-Stealer.

Well, I'll keep thinking of cool "J" names for my Spin.Goddess alter ego.  I have time. 

Now, I think I'll go sit in a tub of ice to recover from two hours on the bike seat in spin.  Ouch.  Plus, my legs currently don't work.  I might fall off this barstool I'm sitting on when I try to get down.

Wish me luck!!



No comments:

Post a Comment