Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 12--Could you love a leper? How about a zombie?

Because seriously, this cancer medicine is eating big holes in my face.  And I stopped using it 6 days ago.  Imagine what it'd be like if I hadn't.  My legs probably would've exploded, and my whole face would have rotted right off.  So I am sporting very stylish band-aids all over my face again--bigger than the ones I had to wear after my biopsies.  I'm not supposed to cover them up but no way am I going to subject the public to this.  I mean, it's stomach-turning.   I'd rather people stare because of the band-aids than vomit because of the leprosy.  Glad I made a pact with myself that I'm not even going to think about dating until after I finish the Mudder in October.  For lots of reasons, but now especially because I'd hate to show up looking like I'm in Stage 1 of the Zombie Virus.  Not a lot of guys want to take a chance that their date might decompose as the night progressed or decide to snack on their brain for dessert.  Surely this mess will heal up by October, right? 

Speaking of healing by October, I took a couple of huge emotional steps this weekend--like monumental, enormous, gargantuan (no one really uses that word much...it looks weird written down), really big!  I was a pretty big mess on Saturday, and I'm not just talking about my zombie face-craters.  Taking some advice from a member of Team Angie, I kinda went out on a limb, pretty far out on a limb.  It was a little scary, but I was already pretty unhappy, so nothing to lose, right?  Inched my way out there till I was about ready to fall off, and the limb snapped, and I came crashing down--hard--to the ground.  The fall knocked some serious sense into me--it jarred me out of my little chick-flick fantasy world, where every love story has a happy ending.  Some love stories just end.  Like mine did.  I finally got it, and and I'm finally ready to move on.  Well, as soon as I finish my race and my face no longer looks like that dude's from Poltergeist...the one who eats the maggot-filled fried chicken and ends up picking all the skin of his skull. 

Okay, back to business...I'm a week and a day into P90x and the only day I skipped was YogaX.  Pretty good work, I'd say.  11 more weeks to go.  Yesterday was all the craziness with the push-ups and pull-ups, and I still suck eggs at that one, but I tried.  The Guy Who Can't Seem to Stop Talking said that the folks in the class with him couldn't do any pull-ups or push-ups when they started, either.  Excited to see if he's right and I'm a pull-up/push-up maniac in 11 more weeks.  Today was plyometrics, and I actually like that one.  Bring on the sore muscles!!

I should get bonus Bad A$$ness points for spending the rest of the afternoon and the next two days climbing around on the roof of a mall in the Houston heat.  Let's see how many Mudders can hang for that!!!  So today, I'm working for the strength not to pass out and die from heat stroke.  Let's hope I don't die!




No comments:

Post a Comment